Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What a Start, Eh?


I have been sick since December 10. In case you don't have a calendar handy, that's 24 days of my own mini-plague. I first headed to the doctor on Day 9 and was diagnosed with viral bronchitis. Yay for no antibiotics but, at the same time, boo for viruses that can linger. They did hook me up with some codeine cough syrup, which helped a little with the night time hacking - talk about a controlled substance! I had to sign five release forms to get that stuff!

I won't bore you by recounting the waxing and waning of symptoms over the past 15 days, but suffice it to say that by this morning I decided I couldn't wait until my doctor's office reopened tomorrow and headed to Urgent Care. A few hours later, my concerns were confirmed. Or, as the doctor on call put it, I have "definitely earned some antibiotics!" Both ears infected, a raging case of strep, and of course the chest congestion from the lingering bronchitis. The good news? Chest x-ray showed no pneumonia. And, let's be honest, x-rays are always kind of fun, right?

The real kicker: 24 hours on antibiotics (doses 4 times a day for 10 days) before I'm not contagious, and then "avoid human contact" for at least a week. Apparently, you people are making me sick. Well, probably not you personally, more like the people I've been sharing air with. Definitely makes the work week a little...challenging, but I'll do my best. My INTENTION for this week is to give my body the time and supplies it needs to heal. I'm going to take care of me. Lots of rest, leafy greens, vitamin C like crazy, and probably some time spent reading lovely blogs, a good book or two, and maybe a little sewing. There are worse ways to start a new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment