Sunday, April 4, 2010

My Favorite Easter Hymn

Having been brought up in a Lutheran church, religion and music have always been synonymous to me. So it's not surprising that the first thing on my mind this morning, other than making sure Monkey's shoes are tied and his face is washed, is reflecting on the music which always puts me in the Easter spirit. My top choice for this year? Christ the Lord is Risen Today, which, oddly, is also sometimes written as Jesus Christ is Risen Today. For us, it seems to be a matter of which hymnal is being used. Easter also reminds me of my maternal grandfather's favorite hymn, Low in the Grave He Lay. If you are unfamiliar with this hymn, give it a listen. My grandfather died when I was barely older than Monkey is now, and we lived thousands of miles apart when he was alive, so the only real connections I have with him are this hymn and a blue and white checked handkerchief. Not a lot, but both meaningful, for different reasons. The words of the refrain, which express my Easter joy so much better than I ever could:

Up from the grave He arose,
With a mighty triumph o'er His foes,
He arose a Victor from the dark domain,
And He lives forever, with His saints to reign.
He arose! He arose!
Hallelujah! Christ arose!


No comments:

Post a Comment