Thursday, December 8, 2011

Apparently Untitled

It's been a while, hasn't it? I really didn't mean to take a couple weeks off blogging, it just sort of happened. In fact, I've started several posts and not finished them for one reason or another. But that's just how life is sometimes, isn't it? It doesn't always feel right, it doesn't always flow, and you can't always get through it without getting distracted or interrupted. So, oh well. I'm glad you're still here.

I'd definitely forgotten how chilly it is here in Oregon this time of year, brrr! Can't say I'm not not missing the warm Texas sun right about now, that's for sure.
There's something about winter weather that makes me feel nostalgic, though, and being in my hometown has definitely made those feelings stronger this year. The funny thing is that it's not really directly related to Christmas or New Year's - my mom never made a big deal of those holidays when we were growing up and I can count on one hand the number of "traditions" (and I use that term very loosely) we had. The things that tend to stick with me are generally related to activities I was involved in - singing at the Grotto with my high school choir - dancing at the Santa's Fling competition up in British Columbia (where the awards were Christmas ornaments instead of medals or ribbons - so cute!) - playing my cello at church - the list goes on. Some years we got to go to a Christmas party with my step-mom's family, which was always fun. I think about these things a lot when we plan stuff to do with Monkey Boy now but, still, I don't consider myself someone who really *CELEBRATES* the holidays in a traditionally American sense. There is no rampant shopping, the most holiday parties I've ever gone to in a single year is two, and most of the time I don't even remember to call my parents on the big days. I guess I'm an apathetic holiday kind of gal, huh?

That's all I got for today, folks. Not very exciting, but at least I'm here. Showing up is half the battle, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment