Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Egg-Free Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins

My sister recently found out that she is allergic to eggs. Since I have multiple food allergies myself, I wasn't shocked by this news, but it did get me thinking about baking and cooking. Add in 3 bananas that had been sitting a little too long on our kitchen counter, and voila! A tasty recipe for egg-free banana chocolate chip muffins. I made them mini-size and maaaaybe had to sample a couple just now. You know, for quality control ;-)

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup soy milk
3 mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla
crushed walnuts to taste
chocolate chips to taste

Directions

1) Sift the first five (dry) ingredients together in a large bowl

2) Cut in the softened butter until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal

3) In a smaller bowl, blend the milk, bananas and vanilla

4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mix lightly until incorporated

5) Add walnuts & chocolate chips, stir gently

6) Fill greased muffin tins about halfway up

7) Bake at 325 F for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inser
ted in the middle comes out clean

8) Allow to cool, remove from tins


I was surprised how light and moist these mini-muffins turned out without eggs! I'm going to freeze most of these and see how they work for quic
k, weekday breakfasts. Also considering the addition of oats to the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment