Sunday, February 6, 2011

Romance in Collaboration

Before I was a mother, I didn't realize the true value of a really good babysitter. I mean, yes, I babysat all through high school and college and recognized that I was important in keeping the children from dying or being seriously injured or carted off by CPS while their parents took in a movie, but I didn't truly know the value of child-free silence. I love my son, but I also love being alone. I love being around the house with my husband just the two of us, sometimes, and basking in the silence that comes from being near each other but no necessarily talking, just *being*. Our favorite babysitters, the ones we keep hiring, are the ones who prefer we bring Monkey Boy to their homes, instead of them coming to us. To some parents, I'm sure this seems like a hassle. If you have more than one kid, it's probably darn near impossible. But for the parents of a singleton, it's perfect. It's bliss. And sometimes, when you're really lucky (like last night), the small person goes for a sleepover with his favorite babysitter. Then you and your husband can do something really romantic, like clean out the storage closet together.

Again, I realize this is all a matter of personal taste. To many, pulling out box after box of things, going through your past and deciding what you can let go of, what needs to be condensed, repacking boxes so they are more space-efficient...well, this might not be your idea of a good time. To me, with my sweetie, working side-by-side until the task is done? Bliss. And now that the effort is complete, the formerly stuffed storage closet is half empty, we have a nearly $400 donation for Goodwill packed up and ready to be delivered, a big box of stuff to Freecycle, and a pile of a dozen textbooks that will be getting new owners next week courtesy of paperbackswap.com. To me, working together with your spouse on a task that will positively benefit your life in so many ways is much more romantic than dinner and a movie. Which reminds me, I need to go kiss my husband good morning...


No comments:

Post a Comment