Friday, February 25, 2011

Do You Lenten Fast?

Some of you may know that last year I did a personal Facebook fast during the season of Lent. It went well, and I didn't have nearly as many "cravings" as I expected. This year, in light of the medical challenges and weight gain I am handling, I think it may be time for a sugar fast. Now, let me be clear: I will be eating fruit. This sugar fast will deal more with processed sugars, such as candies, sodas, ice cream, chocolate, etc. and yes, it breaks my sugar-loving heart to be typing this right now. But! I had a meds check this week and was please do find out I have lost 5 pounds since my last visit. Yes, weight loss is slow going, but it is also necessary and (as some television commercial has been touting recently) naturally reinforcing to fit into clothes. What commercial IS that? Yeah, don't remember...good for thought, not for marketing, apparently! So, yes, refined sugar.

I know that it will be hard. I know that I will be cranky initially as the sugar cravings get stronger. I also know that, in the long run, this will be a change for the better. I know that my body is healthier and I have more energy when I don't eat sugar. I want to be strong and healthy so I'm around for a long time to watch my Monkey Boy grow up and so I can keep on dancing and teaching and therapizing (as my husband refers to my job in verb form). I want this.


Besides (this is the self-shaming part), if Christ can suffer and die on a cross for my sins, I can refrain from stuffing my face with sweets. I'm just saying...


Do you Lenten fast? What will you be sacrificing this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment