Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Meal Planning: An Integral Part of Being a MIHM

If you are like me, you are busy. You want to eat healthfully, but you don't always have the time to cook an elaborate meal each evening. In a perfect world, we could all get take-out every night or hire a personal chef, but who has the money for that? If you are really like me, you also had little to no guidance in learning how to plan/cook healthy, inexpensive meals for your family growing up. So what's an all-grown-up Make It Happen Mama to do? Get on the internet and start researching, of course! What your mama didn't give you, somebody else's mama has most likely blogged about. You can quote me on that ;-)


I started dabbling in meal planning and freeze-ahead meals this past August and, let me tell you, it has been a rough education. The basic idea with freeze-ahead meals is that 1-2 weekends a month (depending on the size of your family - and your freezer!) you set aside a day or two and just prep/cook/label/freeze food all day. Trust me, you will not be hungry at the end of that day. My husband has been fairly supportive, giving ideas of meals he would like to try (spaghetti is always a winner in our house), keeping our son out of my hair on shopping/cooking days, and contributing the ever-inspiring, "Don't worry, honey...if it sucks, I'll just go pick up some fast food." Um, yes. Thank you, dear.


Today I am taking the plunge and officially joining the ranks of nearly 500 other bloggers at orgjunkie.com's Menu Plan Monday. This means that I am now not only responsible to my family for meal planning, but also you, dear reader, and a host of other folks at orgjunkie.com. No pressure, right?


So yeah, I'm a little behind for this week (what a great way to start things off, right?), but here is what is on our menu for this week:


Monday: Pasta Meatball Soup (pre-made & frozen - I waited to add the pasta until thawed)

Tuesday: Pot Roast (slow cooker)

Wednesday: Artichoke Chicken (pre-made & frozen)

Thursday: Spaghetti (sauce pre-made & frozen)

Friday: Macaroni Chili (pre-made & frozen - we leave out the beans on this one)

Saturday: Chicken Burritos (pre-made in the slow cooker & frozen)

Sunday: Baby Burgers (another family favorite - we have this one at least one Sunday a month)


What's your family eating this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment