Sunday, February 21, 2010

Meal Planning - February 22


I hope y'all will forgive me for my absence in the later part of last week. Some sort of virus, combined with a busy week at work, all compiled to keep me away from the computer. I am looking forward to sharing the great adventure my son and I had on Saturday, as well as the overhaul I am doing on my home office!


For now, let me stay on track. Here is my family's meal plan for the week of Monday, February 22nd:


Monday - Chicken Burritos (filling pre-made and frozen; I halve the amount of black beans the recipe calls for)


Tuesday - Potato Soup (pre-made and frozen; I substitute soy milk and turkey bacon)


Wednesday - Spaghetti (I'm telling you, we have it at least one weeknight a week - my husband could happily eat it every other day!)


Thursday - Shepherd's Pie (filling pre-made and frozen; on Thursday night I will add the potatoes and bake)


Friday - Meatball Soup (pre-made and frozen; I add the noodles when reheating, so they don't get mushy)


Saturday - Chicken, Rice & Broccoli Casserole (pre-made and frozen; this is from my friend Kathy in California - scroll down for the recipe)


Sunday - Fajitas (filling pre-made and frozen; the beef marinates as it thaws, so it is very flavorful)


Next weekend will be a big cooking weekend for me, so if you have any new and exciting ideas for freeze-ahead entrees for me to try, please let me know! I think winter is the hardest time of the year for me to cook - I just lose interest in food, for some reason. Must be my inner bear, wanting to hibernate ;-)


*****Kathy's Chicken, Rice & Broccoli Casserole*****

Ingredients (for 1 casserole - I always double recipes when I do my freeze-ahead cooking)

1 box wild rice pilaf w/garlic & herbs, cooked (Kathy uses Near East brand)
1 chicken breast, cubed and cooked [I used 2 chicken breasts per casserole]
1/2 bag frozen chopped broccoli
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
1 can reduced fat cream of chicken soup (undiluted)
shredded cheddar cheese [don't add this until you are ready to bake, if cooking ahead & freezing]
**after chatting with Kathy, I decided to add mixed vegetables to the mix, and next time I am planning on adding some tofu - just enough that my husband can't taste it, of course!

Directions
Cook the rice according to the directions on the box. Cook the chicken [I generally boil mine] and cube it. Mix all the ingredients together. Spread into a casserole dish then top with cheese [if you are freezing, save the cheese for when you are ready to bake]. Bake at 350 F for 30-35 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and the casserole is bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment